Wednesday 8 January 2014

Ode to Achilles

Ode to Achilles
Alas, with heaviness of heart I must accept that my heroic Achilles has fallen.
To my despair and revulsion; portrayed as a ‘dishonourable death’.
Save that to all who knew him, the fact cannot be hid that he was overwhelmed and executed.
Slain and Stolen from me by some cowardly, cruel, brutal, murderous hand.

Would a thousand times that I could have taken his place.
His Life held far more worth to others than ever will my own.
His generosity and inspiration were an encouragement to countless fellow men.
He was a Saviour of lives amidst chaos and a Champion of vulnerable victims.

The Sun has been extinguished. The Stars are out. The Moon is dead.
His favourite month of May witnessed his final strangled breath.
All of the Flowers have withered; the Birds have forgotten their dawn-song.
This grief-ache I will cherish and endure, for every day of what remains of my life I will miss him.

May your faith have found favour with The God that we know to be there, that we shared.
I plead with Him that He permit you to greet me when my own moment comes,
That in Heaven you will be the one to turn to me with your lovely smile and gentle eyes and say
‘Look, You told me so, everything really is alright and isn’t this wonderful?’

I am engulfed in anguish. Bewildered with no comfort to be found.
Words mean nothing. Nothing. My Mentor is no more.
Rest peacefully My Beloved Friend, My Confidante, My Brother in Christ
................and My god-like Achilles.

Tara O’Grady  - 6th May 2011